Toledo Museum of Art Guiding Principles
We believe in the power of art to ignite the imagination, stimulate thought, and provide enjoyment.
Through our collection and programs, we strive to integrate art into the lives of people.
As an organization, we recognize specific values as the basis for interdependence and as essential for collaboration and innovation. As individuals, we pledge that our relationships with one another and with our audiences will be governed by: Integrity; Respect; Trust; Cooperation; Positive Approach; and Self-Discipline.
Considering the Museum’s aspirations, strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and current environment, what the Museum can be best at, passionate about, and financially driven by is using our collection to link art and the creative process. If we focus our efforts on becoming the best in the world at linking art and the creative process, we believe that we can successfully achieve the Museum’s mission as envisioned in these concepts:
- Audience Growth: The number of our actual and virtual visitors will increase.
- Diversity: Our on-site visitors will reflect the economic, social, cultural, and racial diversity of our region.
- Community Relevance: We will be an integral member of our community and will be responsive to issues of community concern and importance, particularly as they relate to the arts.
- Art Collection: We will achieve a consistently high level of quality.
- Professional Leadership: Other organizations will look to us as a model of operational effectiveness, integrity, responsibility to mission, and successful application of innovative solutions to solve real problems.
- Operational Excellence: Resources will meet organizational needs, be built to realize organizational aspirations, and be allocated to achieve the Museum’s mission and vision.