Toledo Museum Home

Prints and Authors in the Time of Manet

Charles Meryon
French, 1821–1868

The Clock Tower (La Tour de l’Horloge)

Etching, about 1862
William J. Hitchcock Fund in Memory of Grace J. Hitchcock, 2008.147

The clock tower forms one corner of the Palais de Justice in Paris. Restored in 1852, it is shown partly covered by scaffolding. The Pont-au Change is jammed with crowds and wagons; a heavily laden Seine barge passes beneath. The composition seen here is a combination of two separate views. Though the view appears to be factual, it cannot be pinpointed on a map or found while walking the street.