The Museum’s Art Acquisition Group
The Georgia Welles Apollo Society is named for the Museum’s Henri Matisse mural, Apollo, as it represents the Greek god of art. Founded in 1986 by Georgia and David Welles, The Georgia Welles Apollo Society has purchased more than 50 of works of art for the Museum over the past 30 years. Each year, the group works with one of the Museum’s curators to learn about an area of art and then select which work(s) to purchase for TMA with their pooled membership dues. In addition to the satisfaction that comes from supporting one of the region’s preeminent cultural institutions, Georgia Welles Apollo Society membership affords unprecedented access to the collection, curatorial process, and Museum leadership. Furthermore, members are granted the special satisfaction of leaving a lasting legacy at the Museum, one that will impact the community for generations to come.
All current President’s Council, President’s Board, and Director’s Circle members are eligible and invited to join The Georgia Welles Apollo Society.
- Dues | $5,000 annually
- Graduated contribution option for first time members:
- Year 1 | $2,500
- Year 2 | $5,000
Apollo members meet four times a year:
- Apollo Picnic (Late Summer)
- This casual gathering allows Apollo Society members to socialize and acts as a kick-off for the “Apollo year.”
- Autumn Area Selection Dinner (Fall)
- A TMA curator presents on an area of art and members vote on and select an area to focus on for the year
- Educational Reception (Early Spring)
- Members enjoy an educational talk by an expert in the area of art they have selected before gathering for cocktails and hors d’oeuvres.
- Spring Object Selection Dinner (Late Spring)
- Members view and learn about the works under consideration with a TMA curator before voting on which one(s) they think would be the best addition to TMA’s collection.
- Unprecedented access to TMA collection, curatorial process, and leadership
- Knowledge you have made a substantial gift to the Museum and community
- Opportunity to socialize with other art enthusiasts and collectors
- Recognition in TMA’s annual report
To join, please contact Todd Ahrens at 419-255-8000 x7421 or firstname.lastname@example.org.