Master classes in glass return to the Toledo Museum of Art this summer
A series of master classes in glass will be offered again at the Toledo Museum of Art (TMA) this summer after a successful inaugural year in 2019.
Beginning in April and continuing through August, these one-week master classes will provide instruction in a variety of glass techniques including glassblowing, flameworking, glass casting, fusing and hot sculpting.
Each teaching artist is internationally recognized and brings a set of highly specific and refined skills unique to each studio in the Glass Pavilion. The classes will run one week, Monday through Friday, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. with lunch provided. Each week-long class will cost $950 for Museum members and $1,000 for non-members.
“As birthplace to the American Studio Glass Movement, it is natural that TMA continues to provide these teaching opportunities at the Glass Pavilion, one of the finest glass studios in the country,” explained Alan Iwamura, the Museum’s glass studio manager. “These intensive, topically focused classes are an excellent opportunity for artists to explore their creativity as they learn or hone their techniques.”
Many of the classes are open to artists of all skill levels, but some will require intermediate or advanced experience. Each class will be limited to nine students. Scholarship application information is available on the class registration webpage. The deadline to apply for a scholarship is April 10, while the deadline to register for a class is one month before it begins.
“The artists teaching the classes are experts in their respective fields,” Iwamura said. “These are the people you want to learn from, and they are excited to have the opportunity to teach where the Studio Glass Movement began more than 50 years ago.”
Artists participating in the master class workshops include:
- Kelly O’Dell – Hot Shop: The Nature of Sculpture (April 27-May 1, 2020)
- Kit Paulson – Flameworking: A Simple Framework: Structural Flameworking (April 27-May 1, 2020)
- Adam Holtzinger – Hot Shop: Less is More (June 8-12, 2020)
- Alli Hoag – Kiln Casting: Glass Taxidermy (June 8-12, 2020)
- Slate Grove – Hot Shop: Breaking Symmetry (July 6-10, 2020)
- Gianni Toso – Flameworking: The Language of Glass (July 6-10, 2020)
- Leo Tecosky – Hot Shop: Redesign, the Decorative Surface (Aug. 10-14, 2020)
- Miguel Unson – Flameworking & Fusing: I Say Toledo, You Say Toledo (Aug. 10-14, 2020)
To register for a master class in glass, visit toledomuseum.org/master-class or call (419) 254-5080.