Toledo Museum of Art extends public closure through April 30
The Toledo Museum of Art (TMA) has extended its temporary closure to the public through Thursday, April 30. At this time, the Museum plans to reopen Friday, May 1, with that date subject to change.
TMA has been closed to the public since Sunday, March 15 to help slow the spread of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) and to encourage social distancing.
“The health and safety of Museum visitors, staff and volunteers continues to be our first priority,” said John Stanley, the Museum’s interim director. “Keeping TMA closed during this unprecedented time was a complicated decision to make but is ultimately the right one. We look forward to welcoming the public back to the galleries as soon as it is safe to do so.”
Anyone who has purchased tickets for tours, art classes, glass art workshops, public programs or Yayoi Kusama: Fireflies on the Water can request a refund or consider their purchase as a charitable gift to the Museum.
“As a private nonprofit art museum, TMA relies on several revenue streams – including income from ticketed programs and exhibitions – to provide free access to our world-renowned art collection,” said Chief Revenue Officer Kris Crystal. “Museum staff will work with individuals on refunds, but we ask that they reconsider their purchase as a donation instead.”
Ticket holders may contact Visitor Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or 419-255-8000 ext. 7448 to arrange a refund.
TMA continues to monitor this developing public health situation and will reevaluate its reopening date as new information is made available. Updates will be posted at toledomuseum.org/coronavirus and on the Museum’s social media (Facebook and Twitter).
The following public programs have been canceled as a result of the closure and will be rescheduled when possible. As new dates are confirmed, updates will be made available at toledomuseum.org. A ($) denotes a ticketed public program.
- April 2: Glass Art Workshop: Pick Your Project ($)
- April 3: Glass Art Workshops: Snail ($)
- April 3: It’s Friday! Music: Estar Cohen Quintet
- April 3: Public Tour
- April 3: Art Crawl ($)
- April 4: Curator Tour: Robin Reisenfeld, Mirror, Mirror: The Prints of Alison Saar
- April 4: Glass Art Workshops: Snail ($)
- April 5: Great Performances: University of Toledo Spring Festival Chamber Recital
- April 5: Glass Art Workshop: Pick Your Project ($)
- April 9: Glass Art Workshop: Pick Your Project ($)
- April 10: Baby Tour
- April 10: EAR | EYE – Listening and Looking, Contemporary Music and Art
- April 10: Glass Art Workshops: Snail ($)
- April 11: Glass Art Workshops: Snail ($)
- April 12: Glass Art Workshop: Pick Your Project ($)
- April 16: Localeyes Tour: Tina Skeldon Wozniak
- April 16: Glass Art Workshop: Pick Your Project ($)
- April 17: AIAToledo Society Lecture: Nicola Barham, “Carving the Body Politic: Portrait Faces in the Roman East”
- April 17: Public Tour
- April 17: Glass Art Workshops: Snail ($)
- April 18: Yoga at TMA: Monroga ($)
- April 18: Member Appreciation Day
- April 18: Glass Art Workshops: Snail ($)
- April 19: Great Performances: BGSU Chamber Music Competition Winners
- April 19: Glass Art Workshop: Pick Your Project ($)
- April 23: Music: TERRY RILEY with Gyan Riley: Live at 85! ($)
- April 23: Glass Art Workshop: Pick Your Project ($)
- April 24: (Y)our Night
- April 24: Art Hour Film: “Alice Neel” ($)
- April 24: Public Tour
- April 24: Glass Art Workshops: Snail ($)
- April 25: Glass Art Workshops: Snail ($)
- April 25: Art Crawl ($)
- April 26: Great Performances: BGSU Conrad Art Song Competition Winners Recital
- April 26: Glass Art Workshop: Pick Your Project ($)
- April 30: Masters Series: Alison Saar
- April 30: Glass Art Workshop: Pick Your Project ($)
Art Classes and Studio Rentals
In addition to canceling all glass studio rentals in April, the following art classes, workshops and events have also been canceled.
- April 4: Glass Discovery: LabinoInspired Sculpture
- April 4-5: Introduction to Glassblowing Weekend
- April 5: Sculpture Studio Open House
- April 6, 8, 13 and 15: Modern Abstract Sculpture in Hot Glass
- April 9: Make a Cheese Knife
- April 11: Glass Discovery: LibbeyInspired Vessel
- April 16: Make a Cheese Knife
- April 18: Glass Discovery: LabinoInspired Sculpture
- April 18-19: Introduction to Flameworking Weekend
- April 21-22: Earth Day Recycled Steel Sculpture
- April 25: Glass Discovery: LibbeyInspired Vessel
- April 26: Make a Fire Poker
The following educator event has been canceled.
- April 30: Teaching Intersectionality through the Old West End and the work of Alison Saar
All external events scheduled to take place at TMA in April have been postponed. The Museum’s Special Events department will work with clients impacted by the closure to reschedule their events.