New! Master Classes in Glass
The Toledo Museum of Art will host a series of master classes in glass in 2020.
Beginning in April and continuing through August, these one-week master classes will offer instruction in a variety of glass techniques including glassblowing, flame working, fused glass, glass casting, and hot sculpting. Each teaching artist is internationally recognized and brings with them a set of highly specific and refined skill sets unique to each studio in the Glass Pavilion. Participating artists include Kelly O'Dell, Kit Paulson, Adam Holtzinger, Alli Hoag, Slate Grove, Gianni Toso, Leo Tecosky, and Miguel Unson.
Many of the classes are open to artists of all skill levels but some will require intermediate or advanced experience. Each class will be limited to nine students and scholarships are available. Participants must be 18 years of age or older.
Glass Studio Rental
Scheduling Studio Rental
- Rental time in the Glass Pavilion studios can be scheduled online (preferred method) or by calling the Glass Studio Supervisor at (419) 255-8000 x.7851.
- The primary renter who will be using the studio must be the name used to secure the spot on the schedule. If you are purchasing time for someone else, this intention must be made clear at the time of scheduling. The primary renter scheduled to use the facility must fulfill eligibility requirements to use the studio (see below).
- During rental time, the primary renter may bring in additional people—to assist or observe only—as follows:
- Hot shop: 2 additional
- Cold shop: 1 additional
- Flameworking: 1 additional
- Casting area: 1 additional
If you are new to renting in the glass studio, you must first receive permission to work independently. Permission can be obtained either with reference from a TMA glass instructor, or by arranging a brief interview with the studio manager. This interview process and a brief studio orientation are required in order to familiarize new renters with studio facilities, safety practices, and guidelines. This also establishes participation as a responsible member of the studio rental community.
Payment must be made in advance of the scheduled rental time either by credit card, check, or money order. Cash will not be accepted. Customers must resolve past-due bills before additional rentals can be purchased.
Call the Glass Studio Supervisor at (419) 255-8000 x.7851 to reschedule, by 4 p.m. the day before the scheduled rental time, and by 4 p.m. Friday for any weekend rescheduling.
- To cancel rental time during the week, call the Glass Studio Supervisor at (419) 255-8000 x.7851. To cancel rental time on the weekend, call the Weekend Shift Lead at (419) 255-8000 x.7853.
- A $10 administrative fee will be charged each time studio time is cancelled.*
- Failure to cancel Hot Shop time within one hour of scheduled appointment will result in a $20 set-up fee.* (Hot Shop rental only)
- Failure to show up without notification for scheduled Hot Shop time will result in forfeiture of all rental fees. (Hot Shop rental only)
- If a renter has not arrived within 30 minutes of the start of scheduled Hot Shop time, the reheat chamber will be shut down. The reheat chamber can be re-lit upon arrival of the renter up to one hour before the end of the scheduled time. Full rental fees still apply. (Hot Shop rental only)
- Any cancelled studio time must be rescheduled within two weeks of the date of cancellation. Failure to do so will result in forfeiture of rental fees.
*Additional fees will be added to your balance and can be paid before or at the time of scheduling the next studio rental.