The Toledo Museum of Art is a community treasure and a popular place for photographers. While personal use photography is encouraged at the Museum, it must be conducted without disruption to Museum operations or visitors and with the safety of the art collection in mind.
Personal Use Photography
Personal photography is allowed in the permanent collection galleries. This includes cell phones, handheld cameras and video cameras that are set to take non-flash photos. Flash photography is prohibited without special permission. Photography in galleries with special exhibitions is prohibited unless noted otherwise. Use of tripods requires a permit issued by security at the door. “Selfie sticks” are not permitted in the Museum.
Members of the media must be escorted by a member of the Communications Office at all times or have permission from that office to shoot independently. All organized photo shoots inside the Museum—for news coverage, school projects, tourism programs—require an escort from the Communications Office. Call to schedule your visit to ensure a staff member is available. Unscheduled photo shoots that cannot be staffed will be declined.
Photo shoots for commercial purposes (advertising, music videos, training videos, etc.) must be approved and scheduled in advance by the Communications Office. A fee will be charged for use of facilities and staff time. The Communications Office can provide a copy of our Commercial Rental Agreement and associated fees.
Wedding & Portrait Photography
Outdoor photo shoots on the Museum grounds can take place at any time and do not require an escort.
Indoor portrait photography is allowed in the Museum without escort if the following restrictions are followed:
- Photographs must be shot in natural light only. No artificial lights, reflectors or diffusers allowed.
- Tripods must be permitted by our security officers at the door, if used.
- Stairwells, stairways and all other spaces in the Museum cannot be blocked off or restricted from the public in any way.
- There is no space for clothing bags or storage of personal items outside the coat rooms. Clothing changes can be made in the restrooms.
- No large bags in the galleries per our regular security procedures.
- Absolutely no live floral arrangements or other props.
- Museum security reserves the right to halt any photo shoot that is deemed disruptive.
Rights & Reproductions
Photography is permitted for private use only. Photographs may not be published, sold, or otherwise distributed for commercial purposes. Visitors may post images from their visit on personal social media sites, so long as they are not used for profit. Images of objects in the collection are available for commercial and publishing uses through the Museum’s Right and Reproductions Office.
The Museum may photograph or videotape visitors for educational and promotional purposes. Attendance on Museum property is implied consent for the use of visitors’ likenesses for marketing purposes.
TMA reserves the right to withhold or withdraw permission to photograph on the premises. TMA staff has the authority to approach and verify the intent of photography, and to enforce the TMA Photography Policy.
Questions? Call 419-255-8000 and extension:
- General photography and photo shoots: ext. 7428, ext. 7413
- Media coverage: 419-254-5082
- Rights & reproductions: ext. 7440