Since its founding in 1901, the Toledo Museum of Art has earned a global reputation for the quality of our collection, our innovative and extensive education programs, and our architecturally significant campus.
And thanks to the benevolence of its founders, as well as the continued support of its members, TMA remains a privately endowed, non-profit institution and opens its collection to the public, free of charge.
Toledo Museum of Art Mission, Vision, and Values
Our purpose is Art Education. We teach people to learn to see by engaging with the collections of the Toledo Museum of Art. Under the umbrella of art history, we engage people with visual culture and methods of seeing including the formal language of art, iconology, ideology, semiotics and hermeneutics.
Through our collection and programs, we strive to integrate art into the lives of people.
Considering the Museum’s aspirations, strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and current environment, what the Museum can be best at, passionate about, and financially driven by is using our collection to link art and the creative process. If we focus our efforts on becoming the best in the world at linking art and the creative process, we believe that we can successfully achieve the Museum’s mission as envisioned in these concepts:
- Audience Growth: The number of our actual and virtual visitors will increase.
- Diversity: Our on-site visitors will reflect the economic, social, cultural, and racial diversity of our region.
- Community Relevance: We will be an integral member of our community and will be responsive to issues of community concern and importance, particularly as they relate to the arts.
- Art Collection: We will achieve a consistently high level of quality.
- Professional Leadership: Other organizations will look to us as a model of operational effectiveness, integrity, responsibility to mission, and successful application of innovative solutions to solve real problems.
- Operational Excellence: Resources will meet organizational needs, be built to realize organizational aspirations, and be allocated to achieve the Museum’s mission and vision.
As an organization, we recognize specific values as the basis for interdependence and as essential for collaboration and innovation. As individuals, we pledge that our relationships with one another and with our audiences will be governed by: Integrity; Respect; Trust; Cooperation; Positive Approach; and Self-Discipline.
- Art must be connected to all that we do.
- Always seek to add value.
- Plan, implement, evaluate.
- Our people are our best asset.
- Integrate art into people’s lives.
- Money follows good ideas.
- Demonstrate diversity, equity and inclusion in everything we do.
- Complete first phase of the Master Plan
- Capture data and maximize revenue from existing visitors
- Confirm and embed TMA's reputation for Visual Literacy
- Create a more vibrant arts community in Toledo